Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Act local, think regional

I was reading the rules for the submission of movies for the Vientianale today, and was quite surprised that it is only for Lao people. Yes, you may think, because it is an event in Laos. Wrong I say, it doesn't matter where you are, your goal matters. And the goal isn't just supporting Lao filmmakers (if there are any), but to let the industry grow and improve.

What Laos (and Vietnam and Thailand as well) need, is way more exchange with neighbors. For example, Cambodia has a lot of enthusiast with film making skills. Vietnam is good in IT and Telecommunication. Thailand might be good in management (at least compared to it's neighbors).

So everything that is done should be seen in a wider perspective. I was attending a workshop about radio frequency monitoring, organized by NAPT. They made is right: They invited the government officials from Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand, to share their ideas and knowledge.


When I was in Cambodia recently, I met the GM of Tiny Toones, a dance group. When I asked her if she knows about Lao Bang Fai, she had never heart of it. That is just not good. Instead of copying Korean pop culture, the SE countries should stay together and learn from each other.

When you want to plant something for harvesting later, make sure that you have enough seeds, no matter where they are from.

The Barcamps have such a good response, because you always meet people from other countries there.

1 comment:

  1. As far as I know, it is open to people who LIVE in Lao PDR. Could be you or me as well. I can't see anything wrong about that.

    ReplyDelete